Have you ever had a day where you just want to eat something really good but with a twist? We do that here a lot. I take something that I know we love and add twists to it. Like ham and cheese sandwiches. The regular ham and cheese sandwich on bread or a grilled cheese are the classic versions of this. Here is our twist on the famous combo. It is a FAV here!
Ham and Cheese Pockets
- 2 1/4 tsp (one packet) Active dry yeast
- 1 cup Warm water (110 -115 degrees)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbs Oil
- 3 1/2 cups Flour (I used unbleached flour)
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- Ham (Either freshly sliced ham from a ham you roasted or lunch meat)
- Cheese (Sliced or shredded. Whatever kind you want to use.)
- Anything else you want to add. (tomatoes, greens, onions, fruit, etc)
- Dissolve yeast in the warm water.
- Add sugar, salt, oil to the yeast.
- Add the flour.
- Knead until it forms a dough ball.
- Let dough rise for 30 minutes (until doubled)
- Punch down the dough.
- Knead and shape the dough until you get the thickness you want for your crust. I use my fingertips a lot for this process. You can also use a rolling pin.
Assembling the pocket
- Once you get the crust to the thickness you want, lay it out on the pan.
- Now layer your ingredients on it.
- Gently fold the dough in half.
- Seal the edges of the dough.
- Baste with the egg on top.
- Bake at 350 until golden brown.