Recently, I can not get enough of avocados. I am putting them in everything from egg rolls, salad dressing, on quesadillas to in soups, and brownies. This is one of the most requested dinners in my home right now. It is so easy to make.
Avocado Chicken Soup
NOTE…You will need a high powered blender or an immersion blender for this recipe. If you are using a blender, please note that this is HOT liquid. Please take precautions where needed.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts diced into small bite size pieces (You can also leftover roasted chicken or rotisserie chicken)
- 2-3 avocados
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 bunch of green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro finely chopped
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- Fresh salsa
- 2 limes
- About a TBSP of cooking oil of your choice
- About a tsp of cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Completely optional but definitely recommended…2-3 pieces of Bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- Shredded cheese of your choice (We do sharp cheddar)
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
In a stock pot add chicken stock and cumin
Simmer on med for about 10 minutes.
While the stock is simmering, heat about 1/2 tsp of oil on med in a skillet on the stove
Add onions, garlic, and the jalapeno to the skillet and cook until tender
Remove from skillet and add to the stockpot.
Add the rest of the oil to the skillet along with the chicken pieces
Cook until tender and fully done
Set aside to cool if you want to shred the chicken or you can leave in the bite-size pieces.
Add the avocado (minus the pit and the skin) and the cilantro to the stockpot.
Either using an immersion blender or a high powered blender, emulsify the stock mixture until smooth.
Add the chicken to the soup mix
Juice the limes
Add salt and pepper to taste
Serve with your choice of fresh salsa or tomatoes, cheese, bacon crumbles, and tortilla chips on the side