Recently, I can not get enough of avocados. I am putting them in everything from egg rolls, salad dressing, on quesadillas to in soups, and brownies. This is one of the most requested dinners in my home right now. It is so easy to make.
NOTE…You will need a high powered blender or an immersion blender for this recipe. If you are using a blender, please note that this is HOT liquid. Please take precautions where needed.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts diced into small bite size pieces (You can also leftover roasted chicken or rotisserie chicken)
- 2-3 avocados
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 bunch of green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro finely chopped
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- Fresh salsa
- 2 limes
- About a TBSP of cooking oil of your choice
- About a tsp of cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Completely optional but definitely recommended…2-3 pieces of Bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- Shredded cheese of your choice (We do sharp cheddar)
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- In a stock pot add chicken stock and cumin
- Simmer on med for about 10 minutes.
- While the stock is simmering, heat about 1/2 tsp of oil on med in a skillet on the stove
- Add onions, garlic, and the jalapeno into the skillet and cook until tender
- Remove from skillet and add to the stock pot.
- Add the rest of the oil to the skillet along with the chicken pieces
- Cook until tender and fully done
- Set aside to cool if you want to shred the chicken or you can leave in the bite size pieces.
- Add the avocado (minus the pit and the skin) and the cilantro to the stock pot.
- Either using an immersion blender or a high powered blender, emulsify the stock mixture until smooth.
- Add the chicken to the soup mix
- Juice the limes
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Serve topped with fresh salsa or tomatoes, cheese, bacon crumbles, and tortilla chips on the side