When you give up the processed stuff, you give up the jarred stuff too. At least we did here. One of my oldest’s favorite foods in the world is Alfredo! So creating an Alfredo sauce that was up to her standards was a challenge. Learning to cook with cream was interesting, to say the least! One second it is really thin and the next it is really really thick and can often turn out very bland from the cream.
Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Sauce
- Chicken (Diced)
- Broccoli (Steamed)
- Mushrooms (Sliced)
- Shallots (Diced)
- Noodles (Your choice)
- Cheese (Optional)
- Cook noodles according to directions on the package and set aside.
- Next, place the cream into a pot and begin to simmer on med-low heat. Make sure to stir the cream often so not to burn it. Burnt cream does not make for a good tasting sauce.a
- In a skillet, add the mushrooms and shallots and cook on med-low.
- Add the diced chicken and continue to cook until the chicken is done.
- About this time the cream should be doing a nice simmering.
- This is when I add the seasonings to taste. The cream has a tendency to taste VERY bland on its own.
- Now add the broccoli and the contents of the skillet to the cream.
- Simmer until the sauce reaches the thickness you desire.
- Next, add the noodles to pot.
- Finally, if you are adding cheese to the sauce, turn off the heat and add it now.
- Stir the cheese in until it melts.