My best friend and her kids stayed with us for a couple of days before moving on to visit family a couple of years ago. She taught me how to make eggs rolls. Over the years, I have played with the recipe and tweaked it. It has been one of the best, most forgiving, and often asked for recipe in my home. When my family sees a head of cabbage in the fridge they all know what is coming.
- Small head of cabbage (julienned)
- Carrots (julienned)
- Garlic (minced)
- Onion (minced or julienned)
- Any add-ins (see below)
- Soy Sauce (to taste)
- Egg Roll Wrappers
- Small bowl of water
- Oil of your choice (to fry in)
- Pinch of Salt (optional)
- 2 tsp Sugar (optional)
Optional Add-In Ideas:
- Meat of your choice (julienned)
- Eggs (cooked without stirring, flipped once, and julienned)
- Mushrooms (julienned or chunked)
- Bamboo chutes (julienned)
- Water chestnuts (julienned or chunked)
- Broccoli (julienned)
- Bell Peppers (julienned)
- Squash (julienned or chunked)
- Eggplant (julienned or chunked)
- Snow Peas
- Combine cabbage, carrots, garlic, onion, soy sauce, and any of the vegetable add-ins to a large skillet or wok on medium heat.
- Cook until cabbage wilts and veggies soften. Anywhere from 2-6 minutes depending on your version of softening.
- Drain the liquid from the mixture and set aside.
- If using meat or egg, cook to your preference and add to the mixture when done.
Assembling The Egg Roll:
- Place the wrapper in a diamond shape on a flat surface.
- Take a spoonful or so of the mix and place in the lower ⅓ of the wrapper.
- Dip a finger into the water and trace the outer edge of the wrapper.
- Take the bottom flap of the diamond, lift it up, and tuck it over the top of the mix.
- Next, fold the left flap to the center of the wrap and repeat with the right side. This will create an envelope.
- Gently, beginning from the bottom of the wrapper, roll the egg roll upwards until the top flap rolls over the egg roll and creates a seal.
- Heat oil in deep skillet or pot and deep fry until they are golden brown.
- Place on paper towels or a wire rack to remove excess oil.