My best friend and her kids stayed with us for a couple of days before moving on to visit family a couple of years ago. She taught me how to make eggs rolls. Over the years, I have played with the recipe and tweaked it. It has been one of the best, most forgiving, and often asked for recipe in my home. When my family see a head of cabbage in the fridge they all know what is coming.
Small head of cabbage (julienned)
Onion (minced or julienned)
Any add-ins (optional)
Soy Sauce (to taste)
Egg Roll Wrappers
Small bowl of water
Oil of your choice (to fry in)
Pinch of Salt (optional)
2 tsp Sugar (optional)
Optional Add-In Ideas
Meat of your choice (julienned)
Eggs (cooked without stirring, flipped once, and julienned)
Mushrooms (julienned or chunked)
Bamboo chutes (julienned)
Water chestnuts (julienned or chunked)
Bell Peppers (julienned)
Squash (julienned or chunked)
Eggplant (julienned or chunked)
1.Combine cabbage, carrots, garlic, onion, soy sauce, and any of the vegetable add-ins to a large skillet or wok on medium heat. Cook until cabbage wilts and veggies soften. Anywhere from 2-6 minutes depending on your version of softening.
2.Drain the liquid from the mixture and set aside.
3.If using meat or egg, cook to your preference and add to the mixture when done.
*Many people prefer to add oil when cooking the veggies. I do not. I find that my veggies are wet enough without adding the oil. You can do it either way.
*Many people add salt or sugar to the veggies mix as they are cooking it. I do not. The soy sauce has enough salt already in it for my family. I also tend to steer away from adding sugar as well. Feel free to add them to the veggie mix if you want to.
*Your color of cabbage and onions will determine the color the egg roll mixture. I chose purple cabbage and red onions for ours. Hence the purple egg roll mixture.
Assembling The Egg Roll
1. Place the wrapper in a diamond shape on a flat surface.
2. Take a spoonful or so of the mix and place in the lower ⅓ of the wrapper.
3. Dip a finger into the water and trace the outer edge of the wrapper.
4. Take the bottom flap of the diamond, lift it up, and tuck it over the top of the mix.
5. Next fold the left flap to the center of the wrap and repeat with the right side. This will create an envelope.
6. Gently, beginning from the bottom of the wrapper, roll the egg roll upwards until the top flap rolls over the egg roll and creates a seal.
7. Heat oil in deep skillet or pot and deep fry until they are golden brown. Place on paper towels or a wire rack to remove excess oil.