This is one of those recipes that is so versatile. I use it for bread loaves, bowls, rolls, buns, sticks, etc. It is easy to change up the taste by adding different seasonings, herbs, spices, and cheeses or leaving them out altogether for just plain Italian bread. This recipe is one of my family’s favorite bread recipes. I am often asked to share it. It is a very simple recipe that even my 11-year-old daughter can make on her own.
2 1/4 tsp Active yeast (1 packet )
1 1/4 cup Warm water (110-115 degrees)
2 T Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
3 cups Flour
Asiago cheese (grated)
Oven safe pan with 1″ of water in it
1. Place the yeast, salt, and sugar in a bowl.
2. Add in the warm water.
3. Let sit for about 5 minutes to proof the yeast.
4. Add the flour to the mix and knead until dough becomes smooth. If you need more flour add it in a little at a time.
5. Form dough into a ball cover with a large towel and let rise (about 40 minutes). You can grease the bowl if you prefer. I do not grease my bowls.
6. Punch down the dough and shape into a ball (Easier to work with) on a lightly floured surface.
7. Slightly flatten out the dough ball and add the garlic, Asiago cheese, seasonings to the dough ball.
8. Knead until blended in.
9. Place dough on a greased pan, oven safe bowl, bread pan (whatever you are using to bake the bread in).
10. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 40 minutes).
11. Place the pan of water on the bottom rack of your oven.
12. Spritz with water and bake at 325 degrees until golden brown (about 40 minutes.